I Plan to Finish Someday...
laid plans of mice and men.........are about equal."
are now sorted into a list of abbreviations
that I use in the CTT writings...hope it helps. I have
also begun filing previous years books in their own file--to shorten
file access times. I have all of
1999, 1998, 1997, 1996,
and most of 1995 books.
I have added a small Resources
on Christian Truth Claims, as well.]
acquisitions...(and old "I brought them in from the garage"
in RED (but
just because its not red, doesn't
mean I don/t like it--I might not have read enough of
it to know, when I posted it below)
note that these books are NOT uniformly cited in the
technically-correct fashion, but only to the extent needed to
identify/find them yourself.
- [OT:AIIS] Ancient Israel in Sinai: The Evidence for the Authenticity of the Wilderness Tradition. James K Hoffmeier. OUP:2005.
- [WR:UFI] The Unseen Face of Islam--Sharing
the gospel with ordinary Muslims at street level. Bill Musk.
- [TH:SAC] Scripture as Communication: Introducing Biblical Hermeneutics. Jeannine K Brown. Baker:2007.
- [WR:WPOI] Waging Peace on Islam. Christine A Malloughi. IVP:2000.
- [WR:ECH] Encyclopedia of the Canonical Hadith. GHA Juynboll. Brill:2007.
- [TH:LFCE] Light from the Christian East; An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition. James R Payton. IVP:2007.
- [OT:JUS] Joel's Use of Scripture and the
Scripture's Use of Joel: Appropriation and Resignification in Second
Temple Judaism and Early Christianity. John Strazicich. Brill:2007.
- [HI:LON] The Libraries of the Neoplatonists. Cristina D'Anona (ed). Brill:2007.
- [OT:CIC] Cuneiform in Canaan: Cuneiform
Sources from the Land of Israel in Ancient Times. Wayne Horowitz and
Takayoshi Oshima, with Seth Sanders. Israel Exploration Society:2006.
- [HI:BIB] Birth in Babylonia and the Bible: Its Mediterranean Setting. M. Stol with F.A.M. Wiggermann. Styx:2000.
- [HI:TALIISC] The Akkadian Language in its
Semitic Context--Studies in the Akkadian of the Third and Second
Millennium BC. G Deutscher and NJC Kouwenberg (eds).
- [HI:LAB] The Limits of Ancient Biography. Brian McGing and Judith Mossman (eds). ClassicalPressOfWales:2006.
- [HI:LWMAI] Letter-Writing Manuals and
Instruction from Antiquity to the Present. Carol Poster and Linda C
Mitchell (eds). USCarolina:2007.
- [HI:NTECLGRC] The New Testament and
Early Christian Literature in Greco-Roman Context: Studies in Honor of
David E Aune. John Fotopoulos (ed). Brill:2006.
- [NT:MT] Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus. Timothy Paul Jones. IVP:2007.
- [NT:TJL] The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition. Paul Rhodes Eddy and Gregory A Boyd. Baker:2007.
- [HI:TMEJC] The Messiah in Early Judaism and Christianity. Magnus Zetterholm (ed). Fortress:2007.
- [TH:MGOI] Metaphysics and the God of Israel:
Systematic Theology of the Old and New Testaments. Neil B MacDonald.
- [HI:DIERL] Deviancy in Early Rabbinic Literature: A Collection of Socio-Anthropological Essays. Simcha Fishbane. Brill:2007.
- [HI:WTNP] The Ways That Never Parted: Jews
and Christians in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. Adam H
Becker and Annette Yoshiko Reed (eds). Fortress:2007.
- [OT:EANEL] Early Ancient Near Eastern Law:
A History of Its Beginnings--The Early Dynastic and Sargonic Periods
(rev.ed). Claus Wilke. Eisenbrauns:2007.
- [OT:WOG] The Writing of Gods: The Evolution
of Divine Classifiers in the Old Kingdom. Racheli Shalomi-Hen.
- [HI:WOTTOH] Writing on the Tablet of the Heart: Origins of Scripture and Literature. David M Carr. OUP:2005.
- [HI:JITT] Jesus in the Talmud. Peter Schafer. PrincetonUP:2007.
- [NT:ENC] Early Narrative Christology: The Lord in the Gospel of Luke. C Kavin Rowe. WalterDeGruyter:2006.
- [OT:TLOAS] The Literature of Ancient Sumer.
Jeremy Black, Graham Cunningham, Eleanor Robson and Gabor Zolyomi
- [TH:HVS] A High View of Scripture? The
Authority of the Bible and the Formation of the New Testament Canon.
Craig D Allert. Baker:2007.
- [TH:PAH] Prophecy and Hermeneutics: Toward a New Introduction to the Prophets. Christopher R Seitz. Baker:2007.
- [WR:BAQQI] The Bible and the Quran: A Question of Integrity. Steven Masood. Authentic:2001.
- [WR:MOTW] Masters of the Word: Traditional
Jewish Bible Commentary from the First Through Tenth Centuries (vol 1).
Yanatan Kolatch. KTAV:2006.
- [WR:QAT] The Quran as Text. Stefan Wild (ed). Brill:1996.
- [WR:DOI] A Dictionary of Islam. Thomas Patrick Hughes. AsianEducationalServices/LaurierPublications: 1996 (reprint of 1885).
- [WR:CBM] The Canonization of al-Bukhari and
Muslim: The Formation and Function of the Sunni Hadith Canon. Jonathan
- [WR:CAAAP] Christian Arabic Apologetics
during the Abbasid Period (750-1258). Samir Khalil Samir and Jorgen S
Nielsen (eds). Brill:1994.
- [WR:JOI] The Jews of Islam. Bernard Lewis. Princeton:1984.
- [WR:HOCMR] A History of Christian-Muslim Relations. Hugh Goddard. NewAmsterdamBooks:2000.
- [WR:IAOF] Islam and Other Faiths. Ismail Raji al-Faruqi, Ataullah Siddiqui (ed). IslamicFoundation:1998.
- [WR:QABLHS] The Quran and the Bible in the Light of History and Science. William F Campbell. MiddleEastResources:n.d.
- [WR:GOB] The Gospel of Barnabas. David Sox. GeorgeAllenUnwin:1984.
- [WR:TOI] The Traditions of Islam. Alfred Guillaume. AyerCoPublishers:1987 (reprint of 1966 copy of 1924 OUP work).
- [WR:AMIHM] And Muhammed is His Messenger:
The Veneration of the Prophet in Islamic Piety. Annemarie Schimmel.
- [WR:IIOC] Islamic Interpretations of Christianity. Lloyd Ridgeon (ed). StMartinsPress:2001.
- [TH:JOBW] The Joy of Being Wrong: Original Sin Through Easter Eyes. James Alison. HerderHerderCrossroad:1998.
- [PH:TDD] The Dawkins Delusion: Atheist
Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine. Alister and Joanna
Collicutt McGrath. IVP:2007.
- [HI:JBIJ] Jewish Believers in Jesus: The Early Centuries. Oskar Sharsaune and Reidar Hvalvik (eds). Hendrickson:2007.
- [WR:SM] Sahih Muslim (4 vols). Imam Muslim , Abdul Hamid Siddiqi (trans). Kitab Bhavan:2000.
- [WR:SB] The Translation of the Meanings of
Sahih Al-Bukhari: Arabic-English 9 Vol Set. Muhammed Muhsin Khan
- [WR:SOOUIH] Studies on the Origins and Uses of Islamic Hadith. G H A Juynboll. Variorum:1996.
- [WR:SIEHL] Studies in Early Hadith
Literature, with a Critical Edition of Some Early Texts. Muhammad
Mustafa al-A'zami. AmericanTrustPubs/IslamicBookTrust:1978/2000.
- [WR:COQ] The Collection of the Quran. John Burton. CambridgeUP:1977.
- [WR:MAFDI] Modernist and Fundamentalist
Debates in Islam--a Reader. Mansoor Moaddel and Kamran Talattof (eds).
- [WR:ICACIMW2] Islam--Continuity and Change in the Modern World (2nd ed). John Obert Voll. SyracuseUP:1994.
- [WR:MOCI] Makers of Contemporary Islam. John Esposito and John Voll. OxfordUP:2001.
- [NT:AIALC] Acts in Its Ancient Literary
Context: A Classicist Looks at the Acts of the Apostles. Loveday C A
- [WR:HAI] Historical Atlas of Islam. Malise Ruthven with Azim Nanji. Harvard:2004.
- [WR:HAIW] Historical Atlas of Islamic World. David Nicolle. MercuryBooks:2004.
- [WR:RLSAP] The Cambridge History of Arabic
Literature: Religion, learning and science in the Abbasid period. MJL
Young, JD Latham and RB Serjeant (eds). CambridgeUP:1990.
- [HI:HOJA] A History of the Jews of
Arabia--From Ancient Times to Their Eclipse Under Islam. Gordon Darnell
- [HI:CAAPIT] Christianity Among the Arabs in Pre-Islamic Times. J Spencer Trimingham. LibrairieDuLiban:1990.
- [WR:SILN] Spirituality in the Land of the Noble: How Iran Shaped the World's Religions. Richard Foltz. OxfordOneWorld:2004.
- [WR:SIAOSI] Seeing Islam as Others Saw
It--A Survey and Evaluation of Christian, Jewish and Zoroastrian
Writings on Early Islam. Robert Hoyland. Darwin:1997.
- [WR:IW] Intertwined Worlds: Medieval Islam and Bible Criticism. Hava Lazarus-Yafeh. PrincetonUP:1992.
- [HI:COTS] The Commerce of the Sacred:
Mediation of the Divine among Jews of the Graeco-Roman Diaspora. Jack N
- [HI:DIA] Diasporas in Antiquity. Shaye Cohen and Ernest Frerichs (eds). ScholarsPress:1993
- [HI:SSAERB] Sages, Stories, Authors, and Editors in Rabbinic Babylonia. Richard Kalmin. ScholarsPress:1994.
- [CS:CHC] The Cambridge Handbook of
Consciousness. Philip David Zelazo, Morris Moscovitch, and Evan
Thompson (eds). CambridgeUP:2007.
- [NT:PMG] The Problem of Markan Genre: The Gospel of Mark and the Jewish Novel. Michael E Vines. SBL:2002.
- [HI:SALW] Studies in Ancient Letter Writing. John L White (ed). SBL:1982.
- [PH:NIML] A New Introduction to Modal Logic. GE Hughes and MJ Cresswell. Routledge:1996.
- [WR:GR] God's Rivals--Why Has God Allowed Different Religions? Gerald R McDermott. IVP:2007.
- [HI:JCR] Jewish Christianities Reconsidered: Rethinking Ancient Groups and Texts. Matt Jackson-McCabe. Fortress:2007.
- [NT:TPG] Tannaitic Parallels to the Gospels. Morton Smith. SBL:1951.
- [HI:RTCI] Revelation, Truth, Canon and
Interpretation: Studies in Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho. Craig
D Allert. Brill:2002.
- [HI:RIEL] Resurrection, Immortality, and
Eternal Life in Intertestamental Judaism and Early Christianity
(Expanded Edition). George Nickelsburg. Harvard:2006.
- [TH:TGWR2] The God Who Risks--A Theology of Divine Providence (revised edition). John Sanders. IVP:2007 (2nd ed).
- [WR:FMT] The Flowering of Muslim Theology. Josef van Ess. HarvardUP:2006.
- [WR:JIHL] Journeys in Holy Lands: The Evolution of the Abraham-Ishmael Legends in Islamic Exegesis. Reuven Firestone. SUNY:1990.
- [WR:EOB] The Eye of the Beholder: The Life of
Muhammad as viewed by the early Muslims--a Textual Analysis. Uri Rubin.
- [WR:SBI] The Search for Beauty in Islam: A Conference of the Books. Khaled Abou El Fadl. RowmanLittlefield:2006.
- [WR:MAGB] Muhammad and the Golden Bough: Reconstructing Arabian Myth. Jaroslav Stetkevych. IndianaUP:1996.
- [WR:HAL] A History of Arabic Literature. Clement Huart. GoodwordBooks:2001(1903).
- [WR:ALEUP] The Cambridge History of Arabic Literature: Arabic Literature to the End of Umayyad Period. Beeston, Johnstone, Sejeant, and GR Smith (eds). CambridgeUP:193.
- [WR:BPQML] Biblical Prophets in the Quran and Muslim Literature. Roberto Tottoli. Curzon:2002.
- [WR:SCUI] Syrian Christians Under Islam--The First Thousand Years. David Thomas (ed). Brill:2001.
- [WR:IVJ] The Islamic View of Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him). Ibn Kathir. IslamicBookService:2003(ed).
- [WR:MTRI] Meccan Trade and the Rise of Islam. Patricia Crone. Gorgias:2004.
- [WR:NGBG] No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam. Reza Aslan. RandomHouse:2005/2006.
- [WR:RVIL] Rebellion and Violence in Islamic Law. Khaled Abou El Fadl. CambridgeUP:2001.
- [WR:NIO] Narratives of Islamic Origins: The Beginnings of Islamic Historical Writing. Fred M Donner. DarwinPress:1998.
- [WR:MTOTQ] Major Themes of the Quran (2nd ed). Fazlur Rahman. BibliothecaIslamica:1992.
- [WR:HOTP] Heirs of the Prophet: Charisma and Religious Authority in Shiite Islam. Liyakat N Takim. SUNY:2006.
- [TH:IWG] It was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God (rev/expanded). Ned Bustard (ed). SquareHaloBooks:2006.
- [HI:50JM] 50 Jewish Messiahs. Jerry Rainbow. Gefen:2002.
- [NT:EE1C] The Educated Elite in 1 Corinthians--Education and Community Conflict in Graeco-Roman Context. Robert S Dutch. TTClark:2005.
- [NS:CREET] The Changing Role of the Embryo in Evolutionary Thought: Roots of Evo-Devo. Ron Amundson. CambridgeUP:2005.
- [NS:HEP] Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology. David M Buss (ed). JohnWiley:2005.
- [PH:ML] Modal Logic. Patrick Blackburn, Maarten de Rijke, and Yde Venema. CambridgeUP:2001.
- [PH:CDE] Contemporary Debates in Epistemology. Matthias Steup and Ernest Sosa (eds). Blackwell:2005.
- [TH:ATMAR] Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities. Roger E Olson. IVPacademic:2006.
- [PM:PMF] Philosophical Myths of the Fall. Stephen Mulhall. PrincetonUP:2005.
- [TH:TMWC] The Meanings We Choose: Hermeneutical Ethics, Indeterminacy, and The Conflict of Interpretations. Charles Cosgrove (ed). TTClark:2004.
- [NT:SLJAP] Servant Leadership: Jesus and Paul. Chalice:2005.
- [HI:SCS4MACC] Septuagint Commentary Series: 4 Maccabees. David A deSilva. Brill:2006.
- [HI:SCSGEN] Septuagint Commentary Series: Genesis. Susan Brayford. Brill:2007.
- [WS:WIDD] Women in the Damascus Document. Cecilia Wassen. SBL:2005.
- [HI:FJTC5] Flavius Josephus: Translation and Commentary (vol 5). Christopher Begg and Paul Spilsbury, Steve Mason (ed). Brill:2005.
- [WR:DEEI] The Development of Exegesis in Early Islam: The Authenticity of Muslim Literature from the Formative Period. Herbert Berg. RoutledgeCruzon:2000.
- [WR:MTSIO] Method and Theory in the Study of Islamic Origins. Herbert Berg (ed). Brill:2003.
- [TH:TSST] Trinitarian Soundings in Systematic Theology. Paul Louis Metzger (ed). TTClark:2005.
- [HI:F4QMMT] From 4QMMT to Resurrection. FG Martinez, A Steudel, and E Tigchelaar (eds). Brill:2006.
- [HI:BDSS1] The Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls (vol 1): Scripture and Scrolls. James Charlesworth (ed). BaylorUP:2006.
- [HI:BDSS2] The Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls (vol 2): The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Qumran Community. James Charlesworth (ed). BaylorUP:2006.
- [HI:BDSS3] The Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls (vol 3): The Scrolls and Christian Origins. James Charlesworth (ed). BaylorUP:2006.
Mar 7, 2007
[HI:FAHJC] Fallen Angels and the History of Judaism and
Christianity. Annette Yoshiko Reed. CambridgeUP:2005.
[NT:OTRELA] On the Road Encounters in Luke-Acts: Hellenistic
Mimesis and Luke's Theology of the Way. Octavian D. Baban.
[HI:TAFE] The Apostolic Fathers in English (3rd ed). Michael
[HI:IASS] Ignatius of Antioch and the Second Sophistic. Allen
[WR:AJOJ4] Answering Jewish Objections
to Jesus, vol 4: New Testament Objections. Michael
[NT:JLW1] Jesus' Last Week: Jerusalem Studies in the Synoptic
Gospels - Volume One. Steven Notley, Marc Turnage, and Brian
Becker (eds). Brill:2006.
[HI:HEBL] Harper's Encyclopedia of Bible
Life. Madeline and J Lane Miller. Castle:1996.
[HI:RPRLDSS] Rabbinic Perspectives: Rabbinic Literature and the
Dead Sea Scrolls. Steven Fraade, Aharon Shemesh, and Ruth
Clements (eds). Brill:2006.
[OT:GBH] A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew. Paul Jouon and T
[WR:TSTM] The Succession to Muhammad: A Study of the Early
Caliphate. Wilferd Madelung. CambridgeUP:1997.
[WR:BIAC] The Bible in Arabic Christianity. David Thomas
[WR:FVQ] The Foreign Vocabulary of the Quran. Arthur Jeffery
with preface by Bowering and McAuliffe. Brill:2007.
[WR:IOTB] Ishmael on
the Border: Rabbinic Portrayals of the First Arab. Carol Bakhos.
Jan 15, 2007
[NT:FJ] Fabricating Jesus: How Modern
Scholars Distort the Gospels. Craig Evans. IVP:2006.
[HI:LADIEJ] Life after Death in Early Judaism: The Evidence of
Josephus. CD Elledge. MohrSiebeck:2006.
[HI:BGME] Berossus and Genesis, Manetho and Exodus: Hellenistic
Histories and the Date of the Pentateuch. Russell E Gmirkin.
[HI:VAG] Voting About God in Early Church Councils. Ramsay
[HI:FAMRE] Fairs and Markets in the Roman Empire: Economic and
Social Aspects of Periodic Trade in a Pre-Industrial Society. L
de Ligt. Gieben(Amsterdam):1993.
[HI:SANIN] A Synopsis of the Apocryphal Nativity and Infancy
Narratives. JK Elliot. Brill:2006.
[HI:BNPCAW] Brills New Pauly, Supplements I, Chronologies of the
Ancient World. Walter Eder and Johannes Renger (eds).
[WR:MWJHB] Muslim Writers on Judaism and the Hebrew Bible: From
Ibn Rabban to Ibn Hazm. Camilla Adang. Brill:1997.
[WR:QII2] The Quran and Its Interpreters, vol II, The House of
Imran. Mahmoud Ayoub. SUNY:1992.
[WR:UTQTAS] Understanding the Quran: Themes and Style.
Muhammed Adbel Haleem. IBTaurus:1999.
[WR:DTQ] Discovering the Quran: A Contemporary Approach to a
Veiled Text, 2nd edition. Neal Robertson. GeorgetownUP:2003.
[WR:QUG] The Quran: A Users Guide. Farid Esack.
[WR:VI] The Vision of Islam. Sachiko Murata and William
[WR:RTIMIT] Rethinking Tradition in Modern Islamic Thought.
Daniel Brown. CambridgeUP:1996.
[WR:KC] Kissing Cousins? Christians and
Muslims Face to Face. Bill Musk. Monarch:2005.
[WR:OW] Oil and Water: Two Faiths--One God. Amir Hussain.
[WR:AGQE] Arabic Grammar and Quranic Exegesis in Early Islam.
CHM Versteegh. Brill:1993.
[WR:EECEI] The Encounter of Eastern Christianity with Early
Islam. Grypeou, Swanson, and Thomas (eds). Brill:2006.
[WR:Abe] The Making of a Forefather: Abraham in Islamic and
Jewish Exegetical Narratives. Shari Lowin. Brill:2006.
[WR:DTPT] Defending the People of the Truth in the Early Islamic
Period: The Christian Apologies of Abu Raitah. Sandra Toenies
[WR:CIC] Christ in
Islam and Christianity. Neal Robinson. SUNY:1991.