"The best laid plans of mice and men.........are about equal."
New acquisitions...(and old "I brought them in from the garage" ones!)...
Recommended books in BOLD RED (but just because its not red, doesn't mean I don/t like it--I might not have read enough of it to know, when I posted it below)
New Years Eve, 2005
[HI:AFECN] Ancient Fiction and Early Christian Narrative. Ronald Hock, J B Chance, and Judith Perkins (eds). SBL:1998.
[HI:ECCC] Early Christianity and Classical Culture--Comparative Studies in Honor of Abraham J Malherbe. John Fitzgerald, Thomas Olbricht, and L Michael White (eds). SBL:2003.
[HI:FHJA1] Fragments from Hellenistic Jewish Authors (vol1): Historians. Carl Holladay. SBL:1983.
[HI:FHJA3] Fragments from Hellenistic Jewish Authors (vol3): Aristobulus. Carl Holladay. SBL:1995.
[HI:FHJA4] Fragments from Hellenistic Jewish Authors (vol4): Orphica. Carl Holladay. SBL:1996.
[NT:BCPCAM] The Background and Content of Paul's Cultic Atonement Metaphors. Stephen Finlan. SBL:2004.
[OT:BT] The Balaam Traditions: Their Character and Development. SBL:1990.
[OT:CU] Chaos Uncreated: A Reassessment of the Theme of Chaos in the Hebrew Bible. Rebecca S Watson. WalterDeGruyter:2005.
December 20, 2005
[CS:ICW] The Illusion of Conscious Will. Daniel Wegner. MIT:2002.
[HI:AF] Ancient Fiction: The Matrix of Early Christian and Jewish Narrative. Jo-Ann Brant, Charles Hedrick and Chris Shea (eds). SBL:2005.
[HI:ATN] All Those Nations...Cultural Encounters within and with the Near East. Vanstiphout, Bekkum, Gelder and Reinink (eds). Styx:1999.
[HI:DLIBT] Daily Life in Biblical Times. Oded Borowski. SBL:2003.
[HI:FJSME] The Flourishing of Jewish Sects in the Maccabean Era: An Interpretation. Albert Baumgarten. Brill:1997.
[HI:TAE] The Twilight of Ancient Egypt--First Millennium BCE. Karol Mysliwiec. Cornell:2000.
[HI:TSN] The True Story of the Novel. Margaret Anne Doody. Rutgers:1996.
[NS:LS] Life's Solution--Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe. Simon Conway Morris. Cambridge:2003.
[NT:ATNTS] Ancient Texts for New Testament Studies--A Guide to the Background Literature. Craig Evans. Hendrickson:2005.
[NT:BAD] Baptism on Account of the Dead (1 Cor 15:29)--An Act of Faith in the Resurrection. Michael Hull. SBL:2005.
[OT:2STDS] Double Standards in Isaiah: Re-evaluating Prophetic Ethics and Divine Justice. Andrew Davies. Brill:2000.
[OT:DAR] Domination and Resistance: Egyptian Military Activity in the Southern Levant, 1300-1185 BC. Michael G Hasel. Brill:1998.
[OT:DSPS] The Dead Sea Psalms Scrolls and the Book of Psalms. Peter Flint. Brill:1997.
[OT:EEERP] Egyptianization and Elite Emulation in Ramesside Palestine--Governance and Accommodation on the Imperial Periphery. Carolyn Higginbotham. Brill:2000.
[PH:ASO] A Social Ontology. David Weissman. Yale:2000.
[PH:AVN] Alienation and Value-Neutrality. AJ Loughlin. Ashgate(UK):1998.
[PH:EOFRTB] Experience of God and the Rationality of Theistic Belief. Jerome Gellman. Cornell:1997.
[PH:IDNT] In Defense of Natural Theology: A Post-Humean Assessment. James Sennett and Douglas Groothuis (eds). IVP:2005.
[PH:LWFW] Living Without Free Will. Derk Pereboom. Cambridge:2001.
[WS:WWT] Women and Womanhood in the Talmud. Shulamit Valler, Betty Sigler Rozen (trans). BrownJudaicStudies:1999.
[HI:ECGLL2] Early Christian Greek and Latin Literature--A Literary History: Volume Two, From the Council of Nicea to the Beginning of the Medieval Period. Claudio Moreschini and Enrico Norelli. Hendrickson:2005.
[OT:AIIN] Ancient Israel and Its Neighbors: Interaction and Counteraction. Nadav Na'aman. Eisenbrauns:2005.
[HI:AG] Akkadian Grammar. Arthur Ungnad and Lubor Mathous, Harry Hoffner (trans). SBL:1992.
[HI:GA] A Grammar of Akkadian (Second Ed). John Huehnergard. Eisenbrauns:2005.
[HI:KTGA] Key to A Grammar of Akkadian (Second Ed). John Huehnergard. Eisenbrauns:2005.
[HI:CDA] A Concise Dictionary of Akkadian. J Black, A George, N Postgate (eds). Harrassowitz Verlag:2000 (second/corrected printing).
[HI:ITA] Introduction to Akkadian (4th ed). Richard Caplice with Daniel Snell. Pontifical Biblical Institute:2002.
[HI:HS] Homeric Seafaring. Samuel Mark. Texas AM:2005.
[HI:ASASA] The Archaeology of Seafaring in Ancient South Asia. Himanshu Prabha Ray. CambridgeUP:2003.
[HI:SASIAT] Ships and Seafaring in Ancient Times. Lionel Casson. UtexasP:1994.
[HI:SIAE] Seafaring in Ancient Egypt. David Fabre. Periplus:2004/2005.
[HI:SSSBAL] Seagoing Ships & Seamanship in the Bronze Age Levant. Shelly Wachsmann. TexasAM:1998.
[HI:SD] Samaritan Documents-Relating to Their History, Religion and Life. John Bowman (ed). Pickwick:1977.
[NT:CAP] The Cross and the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants. Kenneth Bailey (revd). IVP:2005. [Awesome book]
[WR:TR] The Torah Revealed: Talmudic Masters Unveil the Secrets of the Bible. Avraham Yaakov Finkel. Jossey-Bass (Wiley):2004.
[HI:TSI] The Spanish Inquisition. Helen Rawlings. Blackwell:2006.
[NS:AR] The Anthropology of Religion—An Introduction. Fiona Bowie. Blackwell:2000.
[WS:DCTMH] Does Christianity Teach Male Headship—The Equal-Regard Marriage and its Critics. David Blankenhorn, Don Browning, and Mary Stewart Van Leewen (eds). Eerdmans:2004.
[NT:NLEK] The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament. Cleon Rogers JR and Cleon Rogers III. Zondervan:1998.
[WR:BM] The Biography of Muhammed--The Issue of the Sources. Harald Motzki (ed). Brill:2000.
[HI:100K] 100,000 Years of Daily Life - A Visual History. Jacques Brosse, Paul Chaland and Jacques Ostier. GoldenPress:1961.
[HI:AAAT] Ancient Archives and Archival Traditions--Concepts of Record-Keeping in the Ancient World. Maria Brosius (ed). OUP:2003.
[PH:RE] Rethinking Evil: Contemporary Perspectives. Maria Pia Lara (ed). UCal:2001.
[PH:DOMT] Dimensions of Moral Theory: An Introduction to Metaethics and Moral Psychology. Jonathan Jacobs. Blackwell:2002.
[NT:MTAT] Memory, Tradition, and Text: Uses of the Past in Early Christianity. Alan Kirk and Tom Thatcher (eds). SBL:2005.
[OT:COHC] Chieftains of the Highland Clans: A History of Israel in the 12th and 11th Centuries BC. Robert Miller II. Eerdmans:2005.
[OT:MPP] Military Practice and Polemic: Israel's Laws of Warfare in Near Eastern Perspective. Michael G Hasel. AndrewsUP:2005. [Argues that the Deut Laws only make sense in the context of 1500-1000BC Egypt]
[OT:ATSHB] Ancient Texts for the Study of the Hebrew Bible: A Guide to the Background Literature. Kenton Sparks. Hendrickson:2005.
[HI:AIEJL] Ancient Israelite and Early Jewish Literature. TC Vriezen and AS van der Woude. Brill:2005.
[NT:EG] The Earliest Gospels: The Origins and Transmission of the Earliest Christian Gospels--The Contribution of the Chester Beatty Gospel Codex P45. Charles Horton (ed). TTClark:2004.
[HI:NLSTJ] Nazirites in Late Second Temple Judaism. Stuart Chepey. Brill:2005.
[OT:LSOT] The Literary Structure of the Old Testament: A Commentary on Genesis-Malachi. David Dorsey. Baker:1999.
[OT:AST] The Amarna Scholarly Tablets. Shlomo Isre'el. Styx:1997.
[HI:TFW] The First Writing: Script Invention as History and Process. Stephen Houston (ed). CambridgeUP:2004.
[WR:MNEFI] Myths of the North-East Frontier of India. Verrier Elwin. MunshiramManoharlal:1999.
[WR:WTSEFS] When They Severed Earth from Sky: How the Human Mind Shapes Myth. Elizabeth Barber and Paul Barber. Princeton:2004.
[WS:Junia] Junia: The First Woman Apostle. Eldon Jay Epp. Fortress:2005. [The best discussion yet on this...]
[PH:WDWD] What Do W Deserve? A Reader on Justice and Desert. Louis Pojman and Owen McLeod (eds). OxfordUP:1999.
[OT:ISPEI] In Search of Pre-Exilic Israel. John Day (ed). TTClark:2004. [The small article by Graham Davies 'Was there an Exodus?' is worth the price of the book alone...]
[NT:DMG] The Date of Mark's Gospel: Insight from the Law in Earliest Christianity. James Crossley. TTClark:2004. [Makes a good case for a pre-45 AD date for Mark]
[HI:ISEC] The Impact of Scripture in Early Christianity. J Den Boeft and ML Van Poll-Van de Lisdonk (eds). Brill:1999.
[HI:OCIW] The Oldest Cuisine in the World: Cooking in Mesopotamia. Jean Bottero, Teresa Fagan (trans). UChicago:2004.
[CS:MR] Mind Regained. Edward Pols. Cornell:1998. [Good book, by a philosopher, in favor of 'top down' causality.]
[HI:SJTTA] The Sayings of Jesus in the Teaching of the Twelve Apostles. Clayton Jefford. Brill:1989.
[HI:JCGT] Jewish-Christian Gospel Tradition. AFJ Klijn. Brill:1992. [Wish I had had this book earlier--will have to update my pieces on the Hebrew-Gospels and Nazarenes]
[HI:RC] Reconceptualizing Conversion: Patronage, Loyalty, and Conversion in the Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean. Zeba Crook. Walter de Gruyer:2004.
[HI:HRER] Heavenly Realms and Earthly Realities in Late Antiquity Religions. Ra'anan Boustan and Annette Yoshiko Reed (eds). CambridgeUP:2004.
[HI:WHCED4U] What Has Christianity Ever Done for Us: How it Shaped the Modern World. Jonathan Hill. IVP:2005. [We take this for granted... Van Til would have called this 'borrowed capital'--smile]
[NT:GH] The Gospel Hoax: Morton Smith's Invention of Secret Mark. Stephen C Carlson. BaylorUP:2005. [Definitive, and fun to read. I will be updating my piece on this with text from this thorough book]
[CS:ISS] In Search of the Soul: Four Views on the Mind-Body Problem. Joel Green and Stuart Palmer (eds). IVP:2005.
[EncyGenocide] Encyclopedia of Genocide (2 vols). Israel W Charny (ed). ABC-CLIO:1999.
[HI:AAH] An Akkadian Handbook. Douglas Miller and R Mark Shipp. Eisenbrauns:1996.
[HI:ACities] Ancient Cities: The Archeaology of Urban Life in the Ancient Near East and Egypt, Greece, and Rome. Charles Gates. Routledge:2003.
[HI:APF] A Public Faith: From Constantine to the Medieval World, AD 312-600. Ivor Davidson. Baker:2005.
[HI:APNHL] Ancient Place Names in the Holy Land--Preservation and History. Yoel Elitzur. HebrewUnivJerusalme/Eisenbrauns:2004.
[HI:ATIP] The Antichrist Theme in the Intertestamental Period. GW Lorein. T&TClark:2003.
[HI:BO] Blessed One: Protestant Perspectives on Mary. Beveryly Roberts Gaventa and Cynthia L Rigby (eds). WJK:2002.
[HI:CMS] Commerce and Monetary Systems in the Ancient World: Means of Transmission and Cultural Interaction. Rollinger and Ulf (eds). Verlag:2004.
[HI:DOTW] Dynasties of the World--a Chronological and Geneaological Handbook. John Morby. Oxford:1989.
[HI:EOC] Enemies of Civilization: Attitudes toward Foreigners in Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, and China. Mu-chou Poo. SUNY:2005.
[HI:GCGM] A Geneaological Chart of Greek Mythology. Harold Newman and Jon Newman. UNorthCarolina:2003.
[HI:HCA2] A History of Christianty in Asia: Volume 2, 1500-1900. Samuel Moffett. Orbis:2005.
[HI:JATG] Julian's Against the Galileans. R Joseph Hoffman (trans/ed). Prometheus:2004.
[HI:JFCPR] Jewish Funery Customs, Practices and Rites in the Second Temple Period. Rachel Hachlili. Brill:2005.
[HI:LTF] Leaving the Fold: Apostates and Defectors in Antiquity. Stephen G Wilson. Fortress:2004.
[HI:MCAG] Morality and Custom in Ancient Greece. John Dillon. IndianaUP:2004.
[HI:MJPC] Memory in Jewish, Pagan and Christian Societies of the Graeco-Roman World. Doron Mendels. T&TClark:2004.
[HI:MPANEH] Myth and Politics in Ancient Near Eastern Historiography. Mario Liverani (with intro/ed by Zainab Bahrani and Marc Van De Mieroop). Cornell:2004.
[HI:OSS1] Of Scribes and Sages--Early Jewish Interpretation and Transmission of Scripture (vol 1): Ancient Versions and Traditions. Craig Evans (ed). T&TClark:2004.
[HI:OSS2] Of Scribes and Sages--Early Jewish Interpretation and Transmission of Scripture (vol 2): Later Versions and Traditions. Craig Evans (ed). T&TClark:2004.
[HI:RGWE1] Rome, the Greek World, and the East (Vol 1): The Roman Republic and the Augustan Revolution. Fergus Millar (Hannah Cotton and Guy Rogers, eds).UNorthCarolina:2002.
[HI:RGWE2] Rome, the Greek World, and the East (Vol 2): Government, Society, and Culture in the Roman Empire. Fergus Millar (Hannah Cotton and Guy Rogers, eds). UNorthCarolina:2004.
[HI:RRH] Rome's Religious History: Livy, Tacitus and Ammianus on their Gods. Jason P Davies. Cambridge:2004.
[HI:RUOJ] Rise Up, O Judge--A Study of Justice in the Biblical World. Enrique Nardoni (Sean Charles Martin, trans). Hendrickson:2004.
[HI:SRMWM] Silk Road--Monks, Warriors, and Merchants on the Silk Road. Luce Boulnois with Helen Loveday (trans). Odyssey:2004.
[HI:TCBC] They Came Before Columbus--the African Presence in Ancient America. Ivan Van Sertima. Random:1976.
[HI:TKLS] Tradition Kept: The Literature of the Samaritans. Hendrickson:2005.
[HI:TRENT] Traditions of the Rabbis from the Era of the New Testament (Vol 1: Prayer and Agriculture). David Instone-Brewer. Eerdmans:2004.
[HI:WCBP] When Children Became People: The Birth of Childhood in Early Christianity. OM Bakke. Fortress:2005.
[NT:BAC] Buddha and Christ: Nativity Stories and Indian Traditions. Zacharias Thundy. Brill:1993.
[NT:DD] Dialogue and Drama: Elements of Greek Tragedy in the Fourth Gospel. Jo-Ann A Brant. Hendrickson:2004.
[NT:MOG] Mark's Other Gospel: Rethinking Morton Smith's Controversial Discovery. Scott G Brown. CanadianCorporationforStudies in Religion: 2005.
[NT:NPJ] A New Perspective on Jesus: What the Quest for the Historical Jesus Missed. James DG Dunn. Baker:2005.
[NT:RG] The Rhetoric of the Gospel: Theological Artistry in the Gospels and Acts. Clifton Black. Chalice:2001.
[NT:WAM4TH] Women and Men in the Fourth Gospel: A Genuine Discipleship of Equals. Margaret Beirne. T&TClark:2003.
[NT:WDJD] What Did Jesus Do? Gospel Profiles of Jesus' Personal Conduct. F Scott Spencer. TrinityPress:2003.
[OT:BWL] Babylonian Wisdom Literature. WG Lambert. Eisenbrauns:1996 (1960).
[OT:CML] Canaanite Myths and Legends (2nd ed). JCL Gibson. T&TClark:1976.
[OT:DGHW] Did God Have a Wife? Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel. William G Dever. Eerdmans:2005.
[OT:HBW] Homicide in the Biblical World. Pamela Barmash. Cambridge:2005.
[OT:ITB] In the Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Language. Joel Hoffman. NYU:2004.
[OT:MALXX] Messianism and the Septuagint--Collected Essays by J Lust. K Hauspie (ed). LeuvenUP:2004.
[OT:WIAI] Worship in Ancient Israel--An Essential Guide. Walter Brueggemann. Abingdon:2005.
[PH:DMT] Divine Motivation Theory. Linda Zagzebski. Cambridge:2004.
[PH:EIHVC] Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty. Roy F Baumeister. Freeman:1997/99.
[PH:EIMT] Evil in Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy. Susan Neiman. Princeton:2004.
[PH:MH] Metaphysical Horror. Leszek Kolakowski. UChicago:1988.
[PH:PTCD] Philosophical Theology and Christian Doctrine. Brian Hebblewaite. Blackwell:2005.
[TH:3VEOE] Three Views on Eastern Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism. James Stamoolis (gen. ed.). Zondervan:2004.
[TH:FO] The Faith of the Outsider--Exclusion and Inclusion in the Biblical Story. Frank Anthony Spina. Eerdmans:2005.
[TH:HAS] Holiness and Sexuality--Homosexuality in a biblical context. David Peterson (ed). Paternoster:2004.
[TH:TSS] The Suffering Servant: Isaiah 53 in Jewish and Christian Sources. Bernd Janowski and Peter Stuhlmacher (eds). Eerdmans:2004.
[WAG2] What are the Gospels? (2nd Ed). Richard Burridge. Eerdmans:2004.
[WR:3RDWT] An Introduction to Third World Theologies. John Parratt (ed). Cambridge:2004.
[WR:CCRJ] Classical Christianity and Rabbinic Judaism--Comparing Theologies. Bruce Chilton and Jacob Neusner. Baker:2004.
[WR:EMPAC] Early Muslim Polemic against Christianity: Abu Isa al-Warraq's 'Against the Incarnation'. David Thomas (trans/ed). Cambridge:2002.
[WR:GPM] The Gods of Prehistoric Man. Johannes Maringer. Phoenix:2002 (repr.1956/1960).
[WR:MCP] Muslim-Christian Polemic during the Crusades: The Letter from the People of Cyprus and Ibn Abi Talib al-Dimashqi's Response. Rifaat Ebied and David Thomas (Eds). Brill:2005.
[WR:TOM] Theories of Mythology. Eric Csapo. Blackwell:2005.
[WS:AWA] Are We Amused? Humour about Women in the Biblical Worlds. Athalya Brenner (ed). T&TClark/JSOT:2003.
[WS:DBE] Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy. Ronald Pierce and Rebecca Groothius (gen eds). IVP:2004.
[WS:LBW] Love Between Women: Early Christian Responses to Female Homoeroticism. Bernadette J Brooten. UChicago:1996.
[WS:WCP] Women, Crime, and Punishment in Ancient Law and Society (Vol 1: ANE). Elisabeth Meier Tetlow. Continuum:2004.
[HI:HLWC] The History of the Library in Western Civilization--From Minos to Cleopatra. K. Staikos. Oak Knoll Press:2004.
[WR:NACM] Native American Creation Myths. Jeremiah Curtin. Dover:1898 (2004).
[OT:ISOE] In the Shelter of Elyon: Essays on Ancient Palestinian Life and Literature. Barrick and Spencer (eds). JSOT:1984.
[OT:THTO] The Harps That Once...Sumerian Poetry in Translation. Thorkild Jacobsen. Yale:1987.
[OT:RAIHC] The Reshaping of Ancient Israelite History in Chronicles. Isaac Kalimi. Eisenbrauns:2005.
[PH:WOTH] Written on the Heart--The Case for Natural Law. J. Budziszewski. IVP:1997.
[WR:PMCMW] Primal Myths--Creation Myths around the World. Barbara Sproul. HarperCollins:1979.
[NT:NTTIHM] New Testament Theology: Many Witnesses, One Gospel. I. Howard Marshall. IVP:2004.
[GP5new] Gospel Perspectives: The Jesus Tradition Outside the Gospels (vol 5). David Wenham (ed). Wipf/Stock:1984..
[OT:MC] Mesopotamian Chronicles. Jean-Jacques Glassner. SBL:2004.
[PH:ROC] The Revenge of Conscience: Politics and the Fall of Man. J. Budziszewski. Spence:1999.
[PH:DH] Divine Hiddenness--New Essays. Daniel Howard-Snyder and Paul K. Moser (eds). Cambridge:2002.
[HI:URACG] Urban Relocation in Archaic and Classical Greece. Nancy Demand. UnivOklahoma:1990.
[HI:SEC] Slavery in Early Christianity. Jennifer Glancy. Oxford:2002.
[NT:QQ] Questioning Q: A Multidimensional Challenge. Mark Goodacre and Nicholas Perrin (eds). IVP:2004.
[WR:EPKR] Eastern Philosophy: Key Readings. Oliver Leaman. Routledge:2000.
[TEAA] To Everyone an Answer: A Case for the Christian Worldview. Beckwith, William Lane Craig, Moreland (eds). IVP:2004.
[HI:ACAW] Antiquity: The Civilization of the Ancient World. Norman Cantor. Harpercollins:2003.
[HI:HOP] The History of Punishment. Lewis Lyons. LyonsPress:2003.
[HI:ECM1] Early Christian Mission, Volume 1: Jesus and the Twelve. Eckhard Schnabel. IVP:2004.
[HI:ECM2] Early Christian Mission, Volume 2: Paul and the Early Church. Eckhard Schnabel. IVP:2004.
[HI:TMZ] Traditions of the Magi: Zoroastrianism in Greek and Latin Literature. Albert de Jong. Brill:1997.
[WR:SE] The Sanskrit Epics. John Brockington. Brill:1998.
[HI:AELHF] Ancient Egyptian Literature: History and Forms. Antonio Loprieno (ed). Brill:1996.
[WR:MMSJP] The Maccabean Martyers as Saviors of the Jewish People: A Study of 2 & 4 Maccabees. Jan Willem van Henten. Brill:1997.
[HI:CNDN] Canonization and Decanonization. A van der Kooij and K van der Toorn (eds). Brill:1998.
[HI:CAIT] Canaanite in The Amarna Tables: A Linguistic Analysis of the Mixed Dialect used by Scribes from Canaan (4 vols). Anson F. Rainey. Brill:1996.
[EncyMID] Encyclopedia of Midrash: Biblical Interpretation in Formative Judaism (2 ols). Neusner & Peck (eds). Brill:2005.
[OT:FBA] The Future of Biblical Archaeology: Reassessing Methodologies and Assumptions. Hoffmeier and Millard (eds). Eerdmans:2004.
[HI:J2C] From Joshua to Caiaphas: High Priests after the Exile. James VanderKam. Fortress:2004.
[OT:RAI] The Religions of Ancient Israel: A Synthesis of Parallactic Approaches. Ziony Zevit. Continuum/Zevit:2001.
· [OT:IBPNSI] Identifying Biblical Persons in Northwest Semitic Inscriptions of 1200-539 BCE. Lawrence Mykytiuk. SBL:2004.
· [HI:EOWC] The Eastern Origins of Western Civilization. John Hobson. Cambridge:2004.
· [PH:SOG] The Science of God. Alister McGrath. Eerdmans:2004.
· [HI:ADST] Apologetic Discourse and the Scribal Tradition: Evidence of the Influence of Apologetic Interests on the Text of the Canonical Gospels. Wayne Kannaday. SBL:2004.
· [WR:JAG] The Jewish Approach to God: A Brief Introduction for Christians. Rabbi Neil Gillman. JewishLights:2003.
· [OT:BGE] The Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic: Introduction, Critical Edition, and Cuneiform Texts (2 vols). A. R. George. Oxford:2003.
· [TH:BW] Being White: Finding our Place in a MultiEthnic World. Paula Harris and Doug Sharp. IVP:2004.
· [NS:BOG] The Bog People: Iron-Age Man Preserved. P.V. Glob. NewYorkReviewBooks:1965.
· [HI:EIE] Eden in the East: The Drowned Continent of Southeast Asia. Stephen Oppenheimer. Phoenix:1998.
· [WR:TCA] The Children of Abraham: Judaism, Christianity, Islam. F.E. Peters. Princeton:2004 (rev. ed).
· [HI:HAAM] Historical Atlas of Ancient Mesopotamia. Norman Bancroft Hunt. CheckmarkBooks:2004.
· [WR:RCOE] Rashbam's Commentary on Exodus: An Annotated Translation. Martin Lockshin. SBL/Brown:1997.
· [WR:RCOLN] Rashbam's Commentary on Leviticus and Numbers: An Annotated Translation. Martin Lockshin. SBL/Brown:2001.
· [WR:EncycHin] The Hindus--Encyclopedia of Hinduism (5vols). Subodh Kapoor (ed). Cosmo:2000.
· [HI:COH] The Curse of Ham: Race and Slavery in Early Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. David Goldenberg. Princeton:2003.
· [WR:BTT] On the Boundaries of Theological Tolerance in Islam: Abu Hamid al-Ghazali's Faysal al-Tafriqa. Sherman Jackson. Oxford:2002.
· [WR:PTI] The Place of Tolerance in Islam--Khaled Abou El Fadl (et. al.). Joshua Cohen and Ian Lague (eds). Beacon:2002.
· [XBI:Test12] Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs (Study Guide). Robert Kugler. Sheffield:2001.
· [HI:HAD] The Hungry are Dying: Beggars and Bishops in Roman Cappadocia. Susan Holman. Oxford:2001.
· [HI:TBTQ] Transmission of Biblical Texts in Qumran: The Case of the Large Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa(a). Paulson Pulikottil. Sheffield:2001.
· [HI:KMIANE] King and Messiah in Israel and the Ancient Near East. John Day (ed). JSOT/Sheffield:1998.
· [HI:SEJ] The Samaritns and Early Judaism--A Literary Analysis. Ingrid Hjelm. JSOT/Sheffield:2000.
· [PH:TLT] The Liar's Tale: A History of Falsehood. Jeremy Campbell. Norton:2001.
· [HI:HP] The History of Punishment. Lewis Lyons. LyonsPress:2003.
· [HI:EGE] The Evolution of the Gilgamesh Epic. Jeffrey Tigay. Bolchazy-Carducci:2002 (reprt of 1983 ed).
· [TH:GFFW] Grace, Faith, Free Will: Contrasting Views of Salvation--Calvinism and Arminianism. Robert Picirilli. RandallHouse:2002.
· [HI:AAA] Africa and Africans in Antiquity. Edwin Yamauchi (ed). MichiganState:2001.
· [HI:IRCA] The Invention of Racism in Classical Antiquity. Benjamin Isaac. Princeton:2004.
· [HI:WWJ] Who Was a Jew? Rabbinic and Halakhic Perspectives on the Jewish-Christian Schism. Lawrence Shiftman. KTAV:1985.
· [TH:WDGK] What Does God Know, and When Does He Know It? Millard Erickson. Zondervan:2003.
· [NT:CFRJJ] Caiaphas--Friend of Rome and Judge of Jesus? Helen Bond. WJK:2004.
· [NT:PTC] Paul's True Rhetoric: Ambiguity, Cunning, and Deception in Greece and Rome. Mark Given. Trinity:2001.
· [HI:OLCA] Orality, Literacy, and Colonialism in Antiquity. Jonathan Draper (ed). SBL:2004.
· [Hermeneia] Hermeneia--Commentaries on Biblical/ExtraBiblical books. Fortress.
· [HI:AB] Africa and the Bible. Edwin Yamauchi. Baker:2004.
· [HI:AJCO] Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins: Diversity, Continuity, and Transformation. George Nickelsberg. Fortress:2003.
· [HI:BQ] Bible and Quran: Essays in Scriptural Intertextuality. John Reeves (ed). SBL:2003.
· [HI:BW1] Before Writing, Volume 1: From Counting to Cuneiform. Denise Schmandt-Besserat. UTexas:1992.
· [HI:CSLman] Comparative Semitic Linguistics--A Manual. Patrick Bennett. Eisenbrauns:1998.
· [HI:DAS] The Development of the Arabic Scripts. Beatrice Gruendler. Harvard:1993.
· [HI:DFG] Dying for God: Martyrdom and the Making of Christianity and Judaism. Daniel Boyarin. Stanford:1999.
· [HI:DLAG] Daily Life of the Ancient Greeks. Robert Garland. Greenwood:1998.
· [HI:DLAR] Daily Life in Ancient Rome. Jerome Carcopino. Yale:2003 (2nd ed).
· [HI:ELAE] Everyday Life in Ancient Egypt. Lionel Casson. JohnsHopkins:2001 (Rev Ed).
· [HI:EUSY] Eusebius--The Church History. Paul Maier (trans/annots). Kregel:1999.
· [HI:FFANE] Flight and Freedom in the Ancient Near East. Daniel Snell. Brill:2001.
· [HI:FHJA2] Fragments from Hellenistic Jewish Authors, Volume 2 Poets. Carl Holladay. Scholars:1989.
· [HI:FIB] Family in the Bible: Exploring Customs, Culture, and Context. Richard Hess and M Daniel Carroll R (eds). Baker:2003.
· [HI:GBPLA] Greek Biography and Panegyric in Late Antiquity. Tomas Hagg and Philip Rousseau (eds). UCal:2000.
· [HI:GFL] Greek Fictional Letters. CDN Costa (ed). Oxford:2001.
· [HI:GRN] Greek and Roman Necromancy. Daniel Ogden. Princeton:2001.
· [HI:HCW] Historiography in the Cuneiform World. Abusch, Beaulieu, Huehnergard, Machinist, Steinkeller (eds). CDL:2001.
· [HI:HRC] Hellenic Religion and Christianization c. 370-529 (2 vols). Frank Trombley. Brill:2001 (2nd ed).
· [HI:IJS] Imperialism and Jewish Society, 200 bce to 640 ce. Seth Schwartz. Princeton:2001.
· [HI:JP] Jesus the Pharisee. Harvey Falk. Wipf and Stock/Paulist:1985.
· [HI:LANE] Labor in the Ancient Near East. Marvin Powell (ed). American Oriental Society:1987.
· [HI:LCANE] Life and Culture in the Ancient Near East. Averbeck, Chavalas, Weisberg (eds). CDL:2003.
· [HI:LDSU] The Lamentation over the Destruction of Sumer and Ur. Piotr Michalowski. Eisenbrauns:1989.
· [HI:LKA] Legends of the Kings of Akkade--The Texts. Joan Goodnick Westenholz. Eisenbrauns:1997.
· [HI:MAintro] Mesopotamian Astrology: An Introduction to Babylonian and Assyrian Celestial Divination. Ulla Koch-Westenholz. UCopenhagen/Museum Tuscalanum Press: 1995.
· [HI:MATT25] The Least of My Brothers--Matthew 25:31-46 A History of Interpretation. Sherman Gray. SBL:1989.
· [HI:MJ] The Missing Jesus: Rabbinic Judaism and the New Testament. Chilton, Evans, Neusner (eds). Brill:2002.
· [HI:NEAR] Near Eastern Archaeology: A Reader. Suzanne Richard (ed). EisenBrauns:2003.
· [HI:OGOM] One God or Many? Concepts of Divinity in the Ancient World. Barbara Nevling Porter (ed). Casco Bay Assyriological Institute:2000.
· [HI:OWC] Oxen, Women, or Citizens? Slaves in the System of the Mishnah. Paul Flesher. Scholars:1988.
· [HI:PAP] Puns and Pundits: Word Play in the Hebrew Bible and Ancient Near Eastern Literature. Scott Noegel (ed). CDL:2000.
· [HI:PCJJB] Pharaoh's Counselors: Job, Jethro, and Balaam in Rabbinic and Patristic Tradition. Scholars:1983.
· [HI:PIGR] Prayer in Greek Religion. Simon Pulleyn. Oxford:1997.
· [HI:PLRAI] Place of the Law in the Religion of Ancient Israel. Moshe Weinfeld. Brill:2004. [Powerful, powerful refutation of Wellhausen!]
· [HI:PPHI] Pontius Pilate in History and Interpretation. Helen Bond. Cambridge:1998.
· [HI:PPP] Power and Politics in Palestine: The Jews and the Governing of their Land 100 BC-70AD. James McLaren. JSOT:1991.
· [HI:PW] The Power and the Writing: The Early Scribes of Mesopotamia. Giuseppe Visicato. CDL:2000.
· [HI:RBF] Recycling Biblical Figures. Athalya Brenner and Jan Willem van Henten (eds.). Deo (Leiden):1999.
· [HI:RPANE] Religion and Politics in the Ancient Near East. Adele Berlin (ed). UMaryland:1996.
· [HI:S4ELANE] Slumu IV: Everyday Life in Ancient Near East. Julia Zablocka and Stefan Zawadzki (eds). Poznan:1993.
· [HI:SBP] Sinuhe, the Bible, and the Patriarchs. Miroslav Barta. SETOUT:2003.
· [HI:SDANEL] Security for Debt in Ancient Near Eastern Law. Raymond Westbrook and Richard Jasnow (eds). Brill:2001.
· [HI:SIM] Squatters in Moab. Koot van Wyk. LouisHester:1993.
· [HI:SLOCG] Semitic Languages: Outline of a Comparative Grammer. Edward Lipinski. Peeters:2001 (2nd ed).
· [HI:SSAI] The Social Structure of Ancient Israel: The Institution of the Family from the Settlement to the End of the Monarchy. S. Bendor. Simor:1996.
· [HI:SSI] Seals and Seal Impressions. William Hallo and Irene Winter (eds). CDL:2001.
· [HI:UNQ] The Use of Numbers and Quantifications in the Assyrian Royal Inscriptions. Marco De Odorico. Neo-Assyrian Text Corpus Project:1995.
· [HI:URC] Ugarit, Religion, and Culture. Wyatt, Watson, and Lloyd (eds). Ugarit-Verlag:1996.
· [HI:WAL] The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient Languages. Roger Woodward (ed). CUP:2004.
· [JNT2] Josephus and the New Testament. Steve Mason. Hendrickson:2003 (2nd ed).
· [NS:MITECS] The MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences. Robert Wilson and Frank Keil (eds). MIT:1999.
· [NT:CNC] A Challenge to the New Perspective: Revisiting Paul's Doctrine of Justification. Peter Stuhlmacher. IVP:2001.
· [NT:DTWW] Doing Things with Words in the First Christian Century. F Gerald Downing. Sheffield:2000.
· [NT:PATJ] Paul and the Jews. Andrew Das. Hendrickson:2003.
· [NT:PM2W] Paul: A Man of Two Worlds. CJ den Heyer. Trinity:1998.
· [NT:PNP] Paul and the New Perspective: Second Thoughts on the Origin of Paul's Gospel. Seyoon Kim. Eerdmans:2002.
· [NT:PONP] Perspectives Old and New on Paul: The Lutheran Paul and his Critics. Shephen Westerholm. Eerdmans:2004.
· [NT:WIB] Where is Boasting? Early Jewish Soteriology and Paul's Response in Romans 1-5. Simon J. Gathercole. Eerdmans:2002.
· [OT:ACUP] Archaeology of the City: Urban Planning in Ancient Israel and its Social Implications. Ze'ev Herzog. TelAviv:1997.
· [OT:AS] The Age of Solomon: Scholarship at the Turn of the Millennium. Lowell Handy (ed). Brill:1997.
· [OT:BDCR2] The Book of Daniel: Composition and Reception (Vol 2). John Collins and Peter Flint (eds). Brill:2002.
· [OT:BHI] A Biblical History of Israel. Provan, Long, Longman III. WJK:2003. [Absolutely the best available!]
· [OT:BOT] Bringing out the Treasure: Inner Biblical Allusion in Zechariah 9-14. Mark Boda and Michael Floyd (eds). JSOT:2003.
· [OT:ESK] Epics of Sumerian Kings: The Matter of Aratta. Herman Vanstiphout. SBL:2003.
· [OT:EXR] Exodus Retold: Ancient Exegesis of the Departure from Egypt in Wis 15-21 and 19:1-9. Peter Enns. SBL:1997.
· [OT:FBTJ] From Balaam to Jonah: Anti-Prophetic Satire in the Hebrew Bible. David Marcus. SBL:1995.
· [OT:GGIG] Gods, Goddesses, and Images of God in Ancient Israel. Othmar Keel and Christoph Uehlinger. Fortress:1998.
· [OT:ProvSIBI] Proverbs 1-9: A Study in Inner-Biblical Interpretation. Scott Harris. SBL:1995.
· [OT:RFT] Remember the Former Things: The Recollection of Previous Texts in Second Isaiah. SBL:1997.
· [OT:RSOT] Reading Scripture in the Old Testament. G. J. Venema. Brill:2004.
· [OT:RST] Rewriting the Sacred Text: What the Old Greek Texts Tell Us about the Literary Growth of the Bible. Kristin De Troyer. SBL:2003.
· [OT:TCHW] Torah and the Chronicler's History Work. Judson Shaver. SBL:1989.
· [OT:UEGT] Under Every Green Tree: Popular Religion in Sixth-Century Judah. Susan Ackerman. Eisenbrauns:2001.
· [Q:Haleem] The Qur'an: A New Translation by MAS Abdel Haleem. Oxford:2004.
· [ST:CI] Characters of the Inquisition. William Thomas Walsh. Tan:1940.
· [ST:CIEJS] Coversos, Inquisition, and the Expulsion of the Jews from Spain. Norman Roth. UWisconsin:2002.
· [ST:FI] Flesh Inferno: Atrocities of Torquemada and the Spanish Inquisition. Simon Whitechapel. Creation:2003.
· [ST:I] Inquisition. Edward Peters. UCal:1988.
· [ST:MS] The Marranos of Spain. B. Netanyahu. Cornell:1999 (3rd Ed).
· [ST:OIFCS] The Origins of the Inquisition in Fifteenth Century Spain. B. Netanyahu. NewYorkReview:2001 (2nd Ed).
· [ST:SIHR] The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision. Henry Kamen. Yale:1997.
· [ST:TDRRS] Tasting the Dish: Rabbinic Rhetorics of Sexuality. Michael Satlow. Scholars:1995.
· [ST:TSI] The Spanish Inquisition. Cecil Roth. Norton:1964.
· [ST:WII] Women in the Inquisition: Spain and the New World. Mary Giles (ed). JohnsHopkins:1999.
· [TH:HB2V] Homosexuality and the Bible--Two Views. Dan Via and Robert Gagnon. Fortress:2003.
· [TH:Heaven] Heaven--the Logic of Eternal Joy. Jerry Walls. Oxford:2002.
· [TH:JMCC] Jewish Messianism and the Cult of Christ. William Horbury. SCM:1998.
· [TH:PHTOT] Preaching Hard Texts of the Old Testament. Elizabeth Achtemeier. Hendrickson:1998.
· [TH:SSTHR] Self and Self-Transformation in the History of Religions. David Shulman and Guy Stroumsa (eds). Oxford:2002.
· [TH:TCFA] The Case for Angels. Peter Williams. Paternoster:2002.
· [TH:TWB] Theodicy in the World of the Bible. Antti Laato and Johannes de Moor (eds). Brill:2003.
· [TH:TWF] The Way Forward? Christian Voices on Homosexuality and the Church. Timothy Bradshaw (ed). Eerdmans:2003 (2nd ed).
· [TH:WWA] Wrestling with Angels. Kevin Sullivan. Brill:2004.
· [WR:BGPM] Buber on God and the Perfect Man. Pamela Vermes. Scholars:1980.
· [WR:EG] The Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas. Louis Fischer (ed). Vintage:1962.
· [WR:EncycBud] Encyclopedia of Buddhism (2 vols). Robert Buswell (ed). MacMillan:2004.
· [WR:GAB] Gandhi--An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth. Mahadev Desai (trans). Beacon:1957.
· [WR:GBMD] Gandhi: Behind the Mask of Divinity. G. B. Singh. Prometheus:2004.
· [WR:Goyim] Goyim: Gentiles and Israelites in Mishnah-Tosefta. Gary Porton. Scholars:1988.
· [WR:GP] Gandhi's Passion: The Life and Legacy of Mahatma Gandhi. Stanley Wolpert. Oxford:2001.
· [WR:GRHS] Gandhi's Religion: A Homespun Shawl. JTF Jordens. Macmillian/St. Martins:1998.
· [WR:LOT] The Limits of Orthodox Theology: Maimonides' Thirteen Principles Reappraised. Marc Shapiro. Littman:2004.
· [WR:Ramban] Ramban-Nachmanides Commentary on the Torah. Charles Chavel (trans/annot). Shilo:1973-1976,1999 (5 vols).
· [WR:Rashi] Rashi, The Torah--The Sapirstein Edition. Herczeg (trans/annot). Mesorah:1995f (5 vols)
· [WR:ROP] Rivers of Paradise: Moses, Buddha, Confucius, Jesus, and Muhammed as Religious Founders. David Noel Freedman and Michael McClymond (eds). Eerdmans:2001.
· [WR:SIJT1] Studies in Islamic and Judaic Traditions. William Brinner and Stephen Ricks (eds). Scholars:1986.
· [WR:SIJT2] Studies in Islamic and Judaic Traditions 2. William Brinner and Stephen Ricks (eds). Scholars:1989.
· [WR:TM] The Monotheists:Jews, Christians, and Muslims in Conflict and Competition (two vols). F. E. Peters. Princeton:2003.
· [WR:TNSP] The Theology of Nahmanides Systematically Presented. David Novak. Scholars:1992.
· [WR:WBR] What's Bothering Rashi? A Guide to In-Depth Analysis of his Torah Commentary. Avigdor Bonchek. Feldheim:1997-2002 (5vols).
· [WS:GWCGR] Girls and Women in Classical Greek Religion. Matthew Dillon. Routledge:2002.
· [WS:SGANE] Sex and Gender in the Ancient Near East (2 vols). Simo Parpola and RM Whiting (eds). Neo-Assyrian Text Corpus Project:2002.
· [WS:WLAS] Women Leaders in the Ancient Synagogue. Bernadette Brooten. Scholars:1982.
· [WS:WRGRW] Women's Religions in the Greco-Roman World: A Sourcebook. Ross Shepard Kraemer. Oxford:2004.
· [WS:WUI] Women in Ugarit and Israel: Their Social and Religious Position in the Context of the Ancient Near East. Hennie Marsman. Brill:2003.
· [XBI:1MACC] First Maccabees (intro). John Bartlett. Sheffield:1998.
· [XBI:2ESDRAS] 2 Esdras (intro). Bruce Longenecker. Sheffield:1995.
· [XBI:4MACC] Fourth Maccabees (intro). David de Silva. Sheffield:1998.
· [XBI:AdamEve] The Life of Adam and Eve, and Related Literature (intro). Marinus de Jonge and Johannes Tromp. Sheffield:1997.
· [XBI:AscIsa] The Ascension of Isaiah (intro). Jonathan Knight. Sheffield:1995.
· [XBI:JosAsen] Joseph and Aseneth (intro). Edith Humphrey. Sheffield:2000.
· [XBI:Jubilees] The Book of Jubilees (intro). James VanderKam. Sheffield:2001.
· [XBI:Sirach] Sirach (intro). Richard Coggins. Sheffield:1998.
· [XBI:TobJud] Tobit and Judith (intro). Benedikt Otzen. Sheffield:2002.
· [XBI:WisSol] Wisdom of Solomon (Study Guide). Lester Grabbe. TTClark:1997.
· [RAMBAN] Ramban/Nachmanides' Commentary on the Torah. Rabbi Chavel (trans). Shilo:1976 (5 vols).
· [MGX] Mikraoth Gedoloth: Books of the Bible. Rabbi Rosenberg (gen.ed.). Judaica Press (24+ vols).
· [OT:NSBG] New Studies in Bereshit Genesis. Nehama Leibowitz & Aryeh Newman (trans). Haomanim Press/Eliner Library (Israel): n.d.
· [TH:WINC] Why I am Not a Calvinist. Jerry Walls and Joseph Dongell. IVP:2004.
· [ECB] Eerdmans Commentary on the Bible. James DG Dunn and John Robertson (eds). Eerdmans:2003. (1 vol). [a WishList gift! Thanks, TU!]
· [HI:RIASV] Rape in Antiquity: Sexual Violence in the Greek and Roman Worlds. Deacy, Pierce, and Arafat (eds). Duckworth:2002.
· [WR:WCBS] Who can be Saved? Reassessing Salvation in Christ and World Religions. Terrance Tiessen. IVP:2004.
· [NT:ACL] Apostle of the Crucified Lord: A Theological Introduction to Paul and His Letters. Michael Gorman. Eerdmans:2004. [a WishList gift! Thanks, SV!]
· [OT:FRIB] Family Religion in Babylonia, Syria, and Israel. Karel van der Toorn. Brill:1996.
· [OT:LLIB] Law, Legend, and Incest in the Bible—Leviticus 18-20. Calum Carmichel. Cornell:1997.
· [WR:MPOR] Muslim Perceptions of Other Religions: A Historical Survey. Jacques Waardenburg (ed). OUP:1999.
· [HI:JRCM] The Jewish Roots of Christological Monotheism. Newman, Davila, and Lewis (eds). Brill:1999.
· [HI:ACAEE] Angelmorphic Christology: Antecedents and Early Evidence. Charles Gieschen. Brill:1998.
· [WR:CAIC] Christianity and Imperial Culture: Chinese Christian Apologetics in the Seventeenth century and their Latin Patristic Equivalent. Xiaochao Wang. Brill:1998.
· [OT:PIT] The Philistines in Transition: A History from ca 1000-730 bce. Carl Ehrlich. Brill:1996.
· [HI:HAI8] History and Imagination: Eight Essays on Roman Culture. TP Wiseman. UExeter: 1994. [a WishList gift! Thanks, VM!]
· [HI:OHCC] Oxford History of the Christian Church: The Church in Ancient Society from Galilee to Gregory the Great. Henry Chadwick. OUP:2001.
· [WR:AAS] Animal and Shaman: Ancient Religions of Central Asia. Julian Baldick. NYUP:2000.
· [OT:MIC] Mesopotamia—The Invention of the City. Gwendolyn Leick. Penguin:2001.
· [OT:PPANE] Prophets and Prophecy in the Ancient Near East. Martti Nissinen. SBL:2003.
· [WR:NII] A New Introduction to Islam. Daniel Brown. Blackwell:2004.
· [HI:WRSI] Writing and Reading the Scroll of Isaiah: Studies of an Interpretive Tradition. Craig Broyles and Craig Evans (eds). Brill:1997 (2vols).
· [HI:RWRW] Roman Wives, Roman Widows—The Appearance of New Women and the Pauline Communities. Bruce Winter. Eerdmans:2003. [a WishList gift! Thanks, SD!]
· [OT:IRI] The Implied Reader in Isaiah 6-12. Archibald van Wieringen. Brill:1998.
· [WR:II2] An Introduction to Islam (Second Edition). David Waines. Cambridge:2003.
· [HI:DSSSE] The Dead Sea Scrolls—Study Edition. Martinez and Tigchelaar (eds). Brill/Eerdmans:1997/98 (2 vols).
· [HI:PGRW] Paul in the Greco-Roman World—a Handbook. J Paul Sampley (ed). Trinity:2003.
The Christian ThinkTank...[http://www.christian-thinktank.com] (Reference Abbreviations)